There are many different types of scars, all of which can cause emotional distress or embarrassment to those who have them.
Scar removal and reduction refer to various techniques and treatments aimed at minimizing the appearance of scars on the skin. Scars can result from injuries, surgeries, acne, or other skin conditions, and their appearance can vary depending on factors such as the type of scar and individual skin characteristics. Types of scars include:
- Keloid scars – are large, raised scars which extend beyond the original injury. They are thought to have a genetic link and are more common in those with black skin.
- Contracture scars – are most commonly associated with burns. The burn causes the skin to tighten and in some cases can impair your ability to move.
- Hypertrophic scars – are raised, red scars that are similar to keloids, but do not breach the boundaries of the injury site.
- Acne scars – are a side effect of severe acne, which can occur all over the body, not just the face. Acne scarring on the back is particularly common. Acne scars are often pitted and are referred to as “ice pick” scars.
At Dr SW Clinics we offer a range of scar treatments to reduce the appearance of scarring, including:
Plexr – a patented technology that uses Plasma (the ionization of gases in the air) this creates a small electrical arc that causes sublimation of the outer surface of the skin, allowing the skin to form a crust that falls down in 5-7 days leaving a new skin behind, this can be used to treat scars without spreading unwanted heat to the surrounding skin.
AQ GF Recovery Serum – uses GF (growth factor) technology to promote healing and regenerate the skin. It can be used in combination with the Dermastamp to treat certain scars.
PRP – involves taking a small amount of your blood from which growth factor rich plasma is extracted. This is injected in and around the scar to encourage healing and regeneration of the skin and improve the appearance of the scar.
Skin Needling – can improve the appearance of scars by triggering the body’s healing response. It does this by creating ‘micro-injuries’ in the skin which stimulate new collagen to form. At Dr SW Clinics we use two different methods of collagen induction therapy: Dermapen and Dermaroller™.
Carboxytherapy – involves the injection of CO2 under the skin to trigger collagen synthesis. In doing this the skin is rejuvenated and the creases, crepy appearance associated with premature ageing is reduced.
Chemical Peels – one of the most tried and tested methods of skin rejuvenation and can be used to improve the appearance of acne scarring by removing the top layer of damaged skin and allowing new a new healthier layer of skin to form.
Treatment costPrice From
* After consultation the doctor will confirm the cost.
Treatment Summary at a glance
Approx. 60 mins (dependant on complexity)
One – Three (dependent on reviving treatment combination)
- You are bothered by a scar anywhere on your body
- You have a positive outlook and realistic goals for your scar reduction
- You do not have active acne or other skin diseases in the area to be treated
Like many skin rejuvenation procedures, it can vary in terms of discomfort depending on the specific treatment method chosen and individual pain thresholds. However, most scar removal and reduction treatments are designed to be relatively comfortable and minimally painful.
Dr SW Clinics